If Cuba is Attacked, Will It Fight Back!
The United States was hours away from attacking Iran. Then, at the last moment, the strike was called off.
On May 18, 2026, President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that he had halted a major US military strike on Iran — one that was scheduled for the very next day. The reason? An urgent personal request from three of America’s closest Gulf allies.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan all picked up the phone. They told Trump the same thing: a deal with Iran was close. Give us a few more days. Don’t blow up the Middle East. Trump listened. But he also issued a clear warning. If Iran walks away from the table, the US military is prepared for a “full, large-scale assault” at a moment’s notice. Here is what really happened, why it matters, and what comes next.
The Strike That Almost Happened
This was not bluffing. According to Trump’s own statement, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine had already received orders. The attack was scheduled for Tuesday, May 19.
I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, and the President of the United Arab Emirates to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place. — Donald Trump, Truth Social, May 18, 2026 Trump also told reporters at the White House, “I’ve put it off for a little while, hopefully maybe forever, but possibly for a little while.”
Those are the words of a president who is keeping every option on the table.
Why the Gulf States Begged Trump to Stop
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE are not anti-war doves. They have backed US pressure on Tehran for years. But this time, they pushed back hard. Why?
Because they would be the ones paying the price. Since the US-Israel war on Iran began on February 28, 2026 — the day a joint US-Israeli air campaign killed Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei — Iran has launched missile and drone attacks on Gulf states. The UAE has been hit the most, followed by Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait. A UAE nuclear power plant was struck in a fiery drone attack just days before Trump’s decision. And then there is the Strait of Hormuz.
This narrow waterway between Iran and Oman normally carries roughly 20 to 25% of the world’s seaborne oil and LNG. Since February 28, Iran has shut it down — controlling traffic, charging tolls of over $1 million per ship, and even firing on Indian, Greek, and French commercial vessels that tried to pass without permission.
ADB Offers Philippines $1.75 Billion as Middle East War Shakes the Economy
Oil prices have already surged. Brent crude futures spiked above $126 per barrel — the highest since March 2022 — before settling around $109. If the US launches a full assault on Iran, those prices could explode again.
Pakistan Is Now the Quiet Power Broker
One of the most surprising twists of this crisis is who is mediating it.
Pakistan.
Since the April 8 ceasefire broke down and the Islamabad talks of April 11–12 failed, Pakistan has become the main back-channel between Washington and Tehran. On May 17, 2026 — just one day before Trump’s announcement — Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi flew into Tehran. He met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni, and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who is also Iran’s chief negotiator in the peace talks.
Iran’s response to the latest US proposal was hand-delivered through Pakistani channels. Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman expressed “full support” for Pakistan’s mediation. Even Chinese President Xi Jinping reportedly told Trump during his May 15 visit to Beijing that China would help push Iran toward a serious deal.
For Pakistan, this is one of the biggest diplomatic moments in decades. For the Indo-Pacific, it is proof that the region now plays a central role in shaping outcomes in the Middle East.
Where the Two Sides Are Stuck
The deal is close. But it is not done. And the gap between Washington and Tehran is still wide.
According to Al Jazeera and CNN reporting, the US has presented a five-point plan demanding:
- A 20-year moratorium on uranium enrichment in Iran
- Transfer of Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium — roughly 400 kilograms enriched to 60% — out of the country
- Dismantling of Iran’s nuclear facilities at Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan
- Iran to keep only one nuclear site operational
- Full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to international shipping
Iran’s 14-point counterproposal, delivered April 28, demands the opposite end of the rope:
- A permanent end to hostilities within 30 days
- Full US withdrawal from areas near Iran’s borders
- Lifting of the US naval blockade on Iranian ports
- Release of all Iranian frozen assets abroad
- War reparations from Washington
- A new Iran-run mechanism governing the Strait of Hormuz
- Recognition of Iran’s right to enrich uranium under the Non-Proliferation Treat
Iran has been blunt. Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf said Iran’s right to enrichment is “absolutely not a topic we negotiate or compromise on.”

Dialogue does not mean surrender. — Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in early May that an agreement was “just inches away.” But he also criticized what he called “maximalist demands” from US negotiators. Inches on the diplomatic stage can still be miles in reality.
The Real Cost of This War So Far
This is not a small conflict. It has already reshaped the Middle East and the global economy.
According to the Pentagon, at least 13 US service members have been killed since the war began on February 28. The financial cost has crossed roughly $29 billion. US Central Command says the US naval blockade has redirected more than 85 ships since April 13.
On the Iranian side, the damage has been severe. The US and Israel destroyed major nuclear facilities, killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, and wiped out much of Iran’s missile production capacity during the early phase of the war. Iran retaliated with missile strikes on US bases in the Gulf, oil installations across Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and commercial shipping in Hormuz.
Inside the United States, the war is becoming a domestic political problem. Recent polling suggests a majority of Americans believe the war was the wrong decision. With US midterm elections approaching, Trump has every political reason to want a deal — not another endless Middle East quagmire.
Why the Indo-Pacific Should Care
This story is being written in the Persian Gulf. But it is being read most carefully in Asia.
The Indo-Pacific runs on Gulf energy. Roughly 80% of Hormuz oil flows east. China is the single largest customer, followed by India, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. Even the Philippines, which imports almost all of its diesel, gasoline, and aviation fuel, would feel the shock within weeks of a full closure.
If a US strike triggers Iran to mine the strait or sink tankers in the channel, here is what happens:
- Global oil prices likely cross $150 per barrel within days.
- Asian economies face sharp inflation, particularly in fuel, transport, and food prices.
- Power generation in fuel-import countries — including the Philippines — faces real strain.
- Shipping insurance premiums spike across all Asian trade routes.
- China’s Belt and Road energy plans take a major hit, forcing Beijing closer to the negotiating table.
The Philippines is already in the middle of a major defense modernization push. From the new BrahMos missile batteries in Zambales to the third battery scheduled for Ilocos Norte, Manila is preparing for a different kind of war in the West Philippine Sea. But a Middle East war that doubles fuel prices could quietly hurt the Philippines just as much as any Chinese coast guard incident.
How Benito Ebuen Air Base in Cebu provides strategic depth to the Philippines?
That is why every responsible defense analyst in the Indo-Pacific is watching Tehran and Washington as closely as they watch Beijing and Manila.
What Happens Next?
Three to four days. That is the window Trump has given Iran. Maybe slightly longer.
Three things to watch:
First, the Strait of Hormuz. If Iran’s new Persian Gulf Strait Authority — set up to formalize its grip on the waterway — refuses to open the channel under a deal, the US will read that as a deal-breaker.
Second, Iran’s uranium stockpile. The 400 kilograms of 60% enriched uranium is the heart of the dispute. Iran sees it as leverage. Washington sees it as the trigger for war.
Third, the Lebanon front. Israeli attacks on Lebanon have already killed more than 3,000 people since March. Iran has refused to fully sign a deal as long as Hezbollah and Lebanese civilians are still being bombed. That linkage could collapse the whole framework.
Trump himself summed up the mood best.
Yeah, I think so. But I felt that way before with them, so we’ll see what happens. — Donald Trump, May 2026
The Bottom Line
The Middle East is still sitting on a knife’s edge. The attack has been delayed, not cancelled. The negotiations are open, not concluded. The Strait of Hormuz is still under Iranian control. The US Navy is still blockading Iranian ports.
One missile strike, one naval clash, one failed phone call — any of these could restart full-scale war within hours.
And if it does, the shockwaves will not stop at the Gulf. They will travel through every Indo-Pacific port, every Asian power grid, and every household budget from Karachi to Manila.
The next 72 hours will tell the world whether 2026 ends with a peace deal — or a much bigger war.
Stay Informed with Indo-Pacific Report
For more in-depth coverage of the Iran war, Middle East diplomacy, the Strait of Hormuz crisis, and the future of Indo-Pacific security, visit our official platforms below.
🌐 Website
▶️ YouTube
Follow, subscribe, and share — because what happens in Tehran, Doha, and Riyadh today will shape what happens in Manila, Tokyo, and Taipei tomorrow.


